Preparing to study abroad
Now that you have decided on a program, this section of the IESP website will provide you with information on completing the application process and preparing to study overseas.
Please visit the specific program page for the details on the application process for the program you have chosen. Be sure to complete all applications and submit these documents and other application materials (transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc.) to IESP by the deadlines listed below.
- October 1 for Spring programs
- Mid-December for Summer programs
- March 1 for Fall and Year programs
Application processes vary depending on IESPís arrangement with a host institution.
You can apply to study abroad by completing the IESP application, which you can access by clicking the "Apply Now" button on any of IESP's program pages found on the Study Abroad website.
If your term abroad would result in completing any of your last 24 credits abroad, please contact IESP as soon as possible to discuss your situation. Additional steps will be required.
For most programs, you will also need one or more recommendation letters. Recommendations written for you by professors or other recommenders may include the following suggested elements:
- How long and in what capacity the recommender knows the student
- Course(s) taken and grade(s) received in the recommender's class
- The recommender's assessment of the student's motivation for study abroad
- The recommender's assessment of the student's suitability and preparedness for study abroad
- Any other information about the applicant that the recommender would like to share
Once admitted to an institution, you will need to complete and submit the following additional materials: