Health insurance claims

You have already been provided detailed information on health and safety preparedness for living abroad as well as health insurance.

In the event that a health issue arises while you are overseas, please note the following:

If you receive medical services abroad, it is likely you will need to pay up front for medical expenses and send a CISI insurance claim form along with the original receipt. CISI insurance claim forms can be copied from your brochure or downloaded from the CISI web site.

For questions regarding the CISI insurance policy, claims, status of reimbursements for claims, or to extend your CISI coverage, contact:

Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI)
River Plaza 9 West Broad Street
Stamford, CT 06902-3788
Tel: 203-399-5183
Fax 203-399-5596

For medical referrals and information abroad, emergency medical assistance, or questions regarding medical evacuations or repatriation, contact:

AIG ASSIST (24-hour emergency assistance)
From the U.S. call:800-472-0906
From outside the U.S. call collect: 01-713-267-2525
CISI Policy Number: GLB 9111660

If you would like to extend your coverage for an additional 30 days after your program, please follow these instructions:

  1. Go to the study abroad page of UW-Madison's Risk Management office, scroll to "Individual Enrollment" at the bottom of the page and complete the individual application.
  2. On the application for the extension, you need to include your previous expiration date as the new start/effective date and then list the new expiration date of coverage. For example, student Joan Doe goes to Paris, France from 1/1/10 to 6/1/10. Joan decides she wants to stay an extra 30 days. Joan goes to the Risk Management web site, and downloads and completes the "new" application with travel dates of 6/1/10 to 7/1/10.
  3. Joan then forwards the new application and $37 check to Risk Management:

Risk Management
University of Wisconsin-Madison
21 N Park St, Ste 6224
Madison, WI 53715
You will not receive a new card; you will need to keep your original card and adjust the dates.