Neale Silva scholarship for Chilean studentsHistory
Terms and Conditions
Application Cover Sheet and Forms
Included and Excluded Programs
Community Contacts/Friends of Eduardo Neale Silva
The Neale Silva scholarship is intended specifically for Chilean citizens who would like to attend UW-Madison. The scholarship was created by Professor Eduardo Neale Silva, who forged a permanent and special bond between his homeland, Chile, and his adopted educational homeland, the University of Wisconsin-Madison. This web page provides some history about the Neale Silva Scholarship Program, who is eligible to apply, what criteria one must meet to qualify for the scholarship, and how applications are reviewed.
Applications are due on April 1, and are reviewed within one to two months of the application deadline. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the program or the application process.
History of the Eduardo Neale Silva Memorial Scholarship
Eduardo Neale Silva was born in Talca, Chile, in 1905. He entered the University of Chile in Santiago when he was 16 and graduated as an English major. At the age of 20, Neale Silva joined the then Department of Romance Languages at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where he worked for 51 years. Professor Neale Silva recognized his good fortune in finding his way to Madison, but he also knew that hard work was required to build on this good fortune. He began to teach, and worked to complete his graduate studies at the same time. Professor Neale Silva wrote a number of textbooks and readers for undergraduate and high school classes that are used throughout the U.S. Proceeds from these books were invested, and the resulting income is now used for scholarships to bring Chileans to study at the University of Wisconsin-Madison for up to one year.
Professor Neale Silva specified in his will that beneficiaries should (1) be involved in the practical fields of science and technology, and (2) return to work in Chile to benefit the country.
Terms and conditions for administration
of the Eduardo Neale-Silva Scholarship Fund
In partnership with the University of Wisconsin Foundation, the Estate of Eduardo Neale Silva has established the Eduardo Neale Silva Scholarship Fund. The primary purpose of this fund is to provide scholarships to Chilean students, that is, residents of Chile of Chilean nationality, to permit them to attend the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
The terms and conditions of the Eduardo Neale-Silva Scholarships are the following:
- The scholarship may pay the following:
- Round-trip transportation between Chile and Wisconsin (up to $2,000)
- Tuition at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Monthly stipend for living expenses
- SEVIS fee
- Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) insurance
No expenses of dependents shall be paid from this fund.
Candidates for the scholarship shall be asked to submit the following documents (please provide originals and translations into English):
- Application Cover Sheet
- Official academic records (transcripts) from university in Chile
- Three letters of recommendation from teachers or employers, or others familiar with professional development
- Statement describing professional objectives, a proposed plan for study at Wisconsin, and prior international study or travel experiences
- TOEFL score (or equivalent exam), a formal evaluation of English abilities done by an English teacher, or proof of extended English language study
- If applying to graduate school at UW-Madison, candidates should abide by application deadlines for their potential program, which deadlines will be earlier than the application deadline for the Neale Silva scholarship, in most cases. If applying as a non-degree student, successful candidates will be directed to an application form later in the process.
Applications are due in Madison on April 1 for awards beginning the following September. When appropriate to their educational situation and professional objectives, scholarship recipients may be affiliated with the UW as Honorary Fellows or trainees rather than students.
Applications should be submitted to:
Eduardo Neale Silva Memorial Scholarship
International Engineering Studies & Programs
1410 Engineering Drive, Room 170
Madison, WI 53706
The Neale Silva Scholarship Selection Committee is comprised of representatives from the College of Engineering and the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Additional members may be invited to participate as needed to evaluate the applicants and their proposed programs.
The selection committee shall consider the following criteria in making awards:
- Academic ability of the applicant.
- Potential of the candidate and the proposed program to contribute to Chile's scientific and technological development upon their return to the country.
- Compatibility of the student's plan of study with programs available at UW-Madison.
- Application status at potential host department.
- Priority given to the student who has not had many opportunities to go outside Chile or come to the United States for study.
In addition, the Committee will consider favorably candidates from Chilean institutions with which the UW has formal or informal cooperative agreements in order to promote the University's international mission. The Committee will recognize the intent of Eduardo Neale Silva to support students who would not otherwise be able to study at UW, but it will also attempt to increase the number of participants by providing partial support to qualified candidates who have other sources of partial support. Furthermore, it will strive to maintain a balance among various fields of study.
Application and forms
Please complete the application and return it to UW-Madison College of Engineering International Engineering Studies & Programs along with the other requirements of the application. All documents in Spanish must be accompanied by an English translation.
If you intend to study at UW-Madison as a non-degree student for one or two semesters, please submit your application materials, and we will direct you to an online application form if you are awarded a Neale Silva Scholarship.
However, if you are applying to begin your career at UW-Madison as a graduate student, you must apply through the Graduate School as well as one of UW-Madison's graduate programs. Note that you are responsible for meeting application deadlines for your department and the Graduate School, which may be earlier than the April 1 deadline for the Neale Silva Scholarship.
Included and excluded programs
The Neale Silva scholarship is intended to permit recipients to pursue studies in technological or scientific fields, not in the humanities. If you are not sure whether your field of study would qualify, please email International Engineering Studies & Programs at email@example.com.
Community contact/friend of Eduardo Neale Silva
Mario Mardones was a close friend of Professor Neale Silva. Scholarship recipients may contact him by phone. He can be reached at (608) 523-1944.
Also, you may want to contact the Chilean Student Association, a group that works to support Chilean students at the UW and to provide the UW community with opportunities to learn about Chile.