Incoming engineering exchange

Thank you for your interest in applying to UW-Madison's College of Engineering as an exchange student from one of our partner institutions. You should work with your exchange coordinator at your home institution before applying to UW-Madison.

On this page and the subsequent application, you will find application forms and information as well as information on course selection and enrollment, traveling to the United States, housing, health care and health insurance, living in Madison, as well as information on academic and general U.S. culture.

Application guidelines

Application deadlines are March 1st for students hoping to study in Madison during the following fall term or academic year, and October 1st for students hoping to study in the spring term.

Before starting your application, please be aware of the following regarding the required documentation:

Official University Transcript

  • The transcript should list all undergraduate and graduate courses you have taken and the grades you received.
  • Must have official university stamp or seal (handwritten forms are not accepted).
  • Must be in English or be an original accompanied by an English translation.

TOEFL Score Report

Acceptable minimum scores are:

  • Internet test: 90 (out of 120)
  • Paper test: 577 (out of 677)
  • Computer test: 233 (out of 300)

In order to apply, you will need to create an account and then apply to study at UW-Madison for the planned duration. You do not need to send documents to UW-Madison other than those you will be required to upload into the application (unless otherwise directed). In order to apply, you should be prepared to upload copies of your official transcript from your home university, a copy of your TOEFL score (if applicable) and a copy of your passport (photo/data/signature pages). In addition, you will need to complete and submit several documents that will be provided in the application including a Certificate of Financial Support, confirmation of your application to study at UW-Madison and a course plan for your studies at UW-Madison. Please find the link to the online application here.

Students must maintain good academic and non-academic standing while at UW-Madison. Failure to do so could result in the termination of studies.

Dual citizens: If you are a dual citizen with the US, you must decide if you will enter on your US or other country's passport. If you enter on your US passport, you will not need to submit some of the above materials and will not need to apply for a visa, however you will be coded as a domestic student in our system. As a result you will pay more for your mandatory SHIP insurance plan and may not be notified of activities for international students.