Language of instruction: English
Language requirement: None
- University College London: 3.5 cumulative
- Sheffield: 3.0 cumulative
- Warwick: 3.0 cumulative
Warwick and UCL eligibility requirements:
- Must be Junior standing to be considered
- March 1 for Fall or Academic Year
- October 1 for Spring
Approximate Academic Calendar:
- Fall: Mid to late September to early February
- Spring: Early February to mid June
Warwick and UCL:
- Fall term: Late September/early October to mid December
- Spring term PLUS Summer term (BOTH required): early to mid January to late March; late April to late June or early July
- Many courses at Warwick and UCL are year-long, which means students cannot take them for only one semester. Prior to submitting your application, please meet with IESP advisor to verify if your courses will be available for a semester or only a year.
- Some departments at UCL are not open to fall-only students due to exam times. Please contact IESP if you are interested in attending UCL for Fall term only.
All the U.K. programs are run through IESP. Please refer to each school's website for more information.
- University of Warwick
- Information for exchange students at the University of Warwick
- University of Warwick Engineering school
You must carry the equivalent of 12-18 UW credits while abroad, as determined through a scale for credit equivalency. You can take any course abroad that you can get approved as equivalent to a UW course. You can also choose from a list of courses already approved as equivalent to UW courses:
- The course equivalency table shows all University College London courses that have been equated and their UW equivalents.
- Consult the UCL list of subjects and courses.
- The course equivalency table shows all University of Sheffield courses that have been equated and their UW equivalents.
- Consult the University of Sheffield course catalog and timetable, accessible from the course information home page. You can also go to this link, and use the "Quick Links" to the right to access current and recent modules.
- The course equivalency table shows all University of Warwick courses that have been equated and their UW equivalents.
- Consult the University of Warwick course listings. Choose courses ('modules') from Levels 3, 4 or 5 and select specific departments from right margin.
The following sample budgets will give you an idea of the costs involved. These amounts are approximate and will vary based on the actual program you attend, your own spending, and the current currency exchange rate. As you budget for your study abroad, make sure you plan for these contingencies. Check current exchange rates online at OANDA.com or XE.com.
Tuition and fees: University of Wisconsin-Madison tuition
UW program fee: $300
UW-mandated CISI health insurance: $34/month
Housing: $2,000 semester
Meals: $2,800 semester
Miscellaneous expenses (laundry, books, supplies, etc.): $1200
Local transportation: $70/month
Student visa: $162
In addition, students studying abroad at Warwick are required to pay a Student Activities Fee of $75
Entertainment, vacation and travel costs vary widely.
Host institutions may also require students to purchase their insurance policies in addition to CISI.
Most schools offer on-campus housing (dormitories). Please see each school's website for details of housing opportunities.
1) For University College London, the application form and information about other requirements are available online.
For the University of Sheffield, application information is available online. PLEASE NOTE: You must be nominated by IESP in order to apply; please indicate your interest to IESP two weeks prior to the application deadline in order to ensure you are nominated in time. This includes your full name as it appears on your passport, your major at UW-Madison, and the department in which you plan to take courses at Sheffield.
(The University of Sheffield is offering study abroad scholarships for students from the United States in the amount of approximately $1,000. Any U.S. national accepting a place at Sheffield is eligible to apply.)
For the University of Warwick, the application is available online.
3) Submit ALL application materials directly to IESP (along with a printed copy of online application); do not send them to the institution to which you are applying.
If you have an up-to-date passport please submit a copy of it with your application, otherwise start applying for a passport as soon as possible.
Any student planning to study in the UK for whom English is not their first language must submit recent (within the past two years) TOEFL or IELTS exam results in order to obtain the Tier 4 visa for any length of time. The Tier 4 is required for students planning to study more than one semester and may not be available to individuals from certain countries.
If you have any questions, contact IESP.