Puerto Rico

Quick Facts

Language of instruction: Spanish

Language requirement: Spanish 204 or its equivalent is required for participation.

Eligibility requirement: Engineering students in good academic standing.

GPA requirement: 3.0 cumulative

Class standing requirement: students must have met engineering progression requirements to apply.

Application deadline:

  • March 1 for Fall or Academic Year
  • October 1 for Spring

Approximate Academic Calendar:

Fall: End July/early August to mid December

Spring: mid January to late May

Duration: Fall, Spring or Academic year


The program at the University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez is run through IESP. Please refer to UPRM's web site for more information.


You must carry the equivalent of 12-18 UW credits while abroad, as determined through a scale for credit equivalency. At least 50% of the courses you take abroad must be in engineering, science, or math. You can take any course abroad that you can get approved as equivalent to a UW course; learn how to get courses equated. You can also choose from a list of courses already approved as equivalent to UW courses:

To view all Puerto Rico Mayaguez courses that have been equated and their UW equivalents go to IESP's Existing Equivalencies page.

Consult the UPRM course catalog.


The current cost estimates can be found on the Puerto Rico program page. Click on the "Cost" link and then on the program term that you plan to attend (ex: Fall 2017-18).

The amounts are approximate and will vary based on the actual program you attend, your own spending, and the current currency exchange rate. As you budget for your study abroad, make sure you plan for these contingencies. Check current exchange rates online at OANDA.com or XE.com.


While there is no on-campus housing at UPRM, the University's Oficina de Residencias Estudiantiles can help students find shared apartments or houses close to classes.


1) Complete the IESP Application.

3) Submit any original/official application materials directly to IESP (upload others); do not send them to the institution to which you are applying.

If you have an up-to-date passport please submit a copy of it with your application, otherwise start applying for a passport immediately.

Transcripts can be obtained by either (1) visiting the Office of the Registrar at 333 East Campus Mall or by (2) ordering them online via MyUW. Either option is free. Please note that hard copy transcripts ordered online may take up to 10 business days to arrive through the mail. Transcripts ordered online are available for pick-up the same day.

If you have any questions, contact IESP.