Language of instruction: English
Language requirement: None.
Eligibility requirement: Engineering students in good academic standing.
GPA requirement: 3.0 cumulative
Class standing requirements:
- Must be a sophomore at UW to enter the University of Auckland as a study abroad student.
- Must have met engineering progression requirements to apply.
- March 1 for Fall or Academic Year
- October 1 for Spring
Approximate Academic Calendar:
Fall semester: mid July to late November
Spring semester: late February to late June
Duration: Fall, Spring or calendar year (Spring, then Fall)
The program at the University of Auckland is run through IESP. For more information, please refer to UA's website.
You should also review the University of Auckland's international students information page.
You must carry the equivalent of 12-18 UW credits while abroad, as determined through a scale for credit equivalency. At least 50% of the courses you take abroad must be in engineering, science, or math. You can take any course abroad that you can get approved as equivalent to a UW course; learn how to get courses equated.
To view all University of Auckland courses that have been equated and their UW equivalents go to IESP's Existing Equivalencies page.
Consult the University of Auckland's engineering course catalog. You can search for courses here, and learn when they are offered.
Review the University of Auckland’s course availability for more information. If you're interested in local culture or history courses, you can learn more by reviewing the Faculty of Arts subjects and courses.
The current cost estimates can be found on the New Zealand program page. Click on the "Cost" link and then on the program term that you plan to attend (ex: Fall 2017-18).
The amounts are approximate and will vary based on the actual program you attend, your own spending, and the current currency exchange rate. As you budget for your study abroad, make sure you plan for these contingencies. Check current exchange rates online at OANDA.com or XE.com.
There are several scholarships available to students planning on studying in New Zealand:
- Go Overseas offers a $15,000 scholarships to US student to study abroad in New Zealand. The scholarship also includes a round-trip flight. Additionally, five students attending the University of Auckland are eligible for scholarships of NZ$1,000.
- Education New Zealand offers $2,000 travel awards for use in covering the flight to New Zealand. The University of Auckland also offers $500 awards for study. The deadline for these awards is December 1.
- Due to financial/tuition issues, any student in ROTC or receiving a full tuition scholarship to UW-Madison must meet with IESP before applying to this program.
- Please note that the financial aid is not released until 10 days before the start of the UW semester. Students who receive financial aid will need to prepare to pay initial fees (tuition, airplane ticket, rent/host families, entrance permit/visa, local insurance, etc) prior to receiving financial aid.
- Please be aware that because you will be paying tuition at an overseas university that you will not receive a tax credit for this tuition and it will not be included on your 1098T form.
There are various options available for accommodations in Auckland: on-campus residence halls and off-campus apartments.
1) Complete the IESP application.
2) In order to complete the IESP application, you will need to Apply online through the University of Auckland's website.
While working on your application, please make sure to:
• Use your name as it appears on your passport (ie: Matthew, not Matt, etc.).
• Complete and submit all forms online to the University of Auckland.
• Print a copy of your UA application and upload it into the IESP application, along with copies of any additional materials requested.
You will need to upload a passport-style photo with an off-white background in order to complete your online application. Follow these instructions to upload your photo.
3) Additional application requirements:
• Official transcript
• Original passport: IESP must make an official copy
• Course selections: these can be submitted with your application or after formal acceptance
• Course syllabi for courses that you have taken at UW-Madison that fulfill necessary prerequisites for classes that you want to take at the University of Auckland
4) Submit any original/official application materials directly to IESP; do not send them to the institution to which you are applying.
Transcripts can be obtained by either (1) visiting the Office of the Registrar at 333 East Campus Mall or by (2) ordering them online via MyUW. Either option is free. Please note that hard copy transcripts ordered online may take up to 10 business days to arrive through the mail. Transcripts ordered online are available for pick-up the same day.
If you have any questions, contact IESP.