Hong Kong

Quick Facts

Language of instruction: English

Language requirement: None

Courses offered in English

Eligibility requirement: UW-Madison Engineering students in good academic and non-academic standing.

Class standing requirement: students must have met engineering progression requirements to apply.

GPA requirement: 3.0 cumulative

Application deadline:

  • March 1 for Fall or Academic Year
  • October 1 for Spring

Approximate Academic Calendar:

Fall: Early September to late December

Spring: Mid January to late May

Duration: Fall, Spring or Year


The program in Hong Kong is run through IESP. Enrollment is somewhat limited, so interested students are encouraged to have a second choice in mind.

The University of Hong Kong

HKU international office


You must carry the equivalent of 12-18 UW credits while abroad, as determined through a scale for credit equivalency. At least 50% of the courses you take abroad must be in engineering, science, or math. You can take any course abroad that you can get approved as equivalent to a UW course; learn how to get courses equated. You can also choose from a list of courses already approved as equivalent to UW courses:

To view all HKU courses that have been equated and their UW equivalents go to the list of HKU equivalencies and click on the 'Academics' tab at the bottom of the page.

To explore engineering courses, consult HKU's engineering syllabi. To learn more about all of the other courses that HKU offers, consult HKU's international office page.


Interested students may apply for a Freeman Award for Study in Asia. Learn more about this scholarship by visiting the Institute of International Education's website.

The current cost estimates can be found on the Hong Kong program page. Click on the "Cost" link and then on the program term that you plan to attend (ex: Fall 2017-18).

The amounts are approximate and will vary based on the actual program you attend, your own spending, and the current currency exchange rate. As you budget for your study abroad, make sure you plan for these contingencies. Check current exchange rates online at OANDA.com or XE.com.

Host institutions may also require students to purchase their insurance policies in addition to CISI.

More detailed information is available on the HKU web site for incoming students.


On-campus housing (dormitories) are available. Please see the school's website for details.


1) Complete the IESP application.

2) Request that IESP nominate you to study at HKU; this is required by HKU to begin their application process. In order to be nominated, you will need to provide the following items to IESP by September 1 (for spring) and February 15 (for fall) as directed in IESP's application:

  • A one-paragraph essay explaining why you're interested in studying at HKU
  • Résumé
  • Official UW-Madison transcript
  • Copy of your passport (if you have one)
  • Email (sent to international@engr.wisc.edu) with full name, major, year (ie: Junior)
  • Recent TOEFL score (for non-native English speakers)

3) In order to submit the IESP application, you will need to complete HKU's online application. You will receive an email with instructions on how to do so after IESP has nominated you.

Transcripts can be obtained by either (1) visiting the Office of the Registrar at 333 East Campus Mall or by (2) ordering them online via MyUW. Either option is free. Please note that hard copy transcripts ordered online may take up to 10 business days to arrive through the mail. Transcripts ordered online are available for pick-up the same day.

If you have any questions, contact IESP.