Quick Facts

Language of instruction: German

Language requirement: German 204 or equivalent is required for participation. A few courses are offered in English.

Eligibility requirement: UW-Madison Engineering students in good academic and non-academic standing.

Class standing requirement: students must have met engineering progression requirements to apply.

GPA requirement: 3.0 cumulative

Application deadline:

  • March 1 for Fall or Academic Year
  • October 1 for Spring

Approximate Academic Calendar:

Hochschule München:

Fall semester: Early October through mid February

Spring semester: Early March through late July

Hamburg University of Applied Sciences:

Fall semester: Early September through early February

Spring semester: Early March through mid July

Fall semester will interfere with the Spring semester at the UW.


The programs in Germany are run through the Global Engineering Education Exchange (Global E3), a consortium of universities in the U.S. and abroad working together to provide students with the opportunity to study internationally. Please refer to the Global E3 website, the Hochschule München website, and the Hamburg University of Applied Sciences website for more detailed information.


You must carry the equivalent of 12-18 UW credits while abroad, as determined through a scale for credit equivalency. At least 50% of the courses you take abroad must be in engineering, science, or math. You can take any course abroad that you can get approved as equivalent to a UW course; learn how to get courses equated. You can also choose from a list of courses already approved as equivalent to UW courses:

Click on the following links to view equivalencies for Hochschule Munchen and Hamburg University of Applied Sciences - scroll down to the 'Academics' tab at the bottom of the page. Consult Hamburg's course information (click on 'Programmes in English' or 'Programmes in German') or Hochschule Munchen's course catalog


The current cost estimates can be found on the IAP program pages for Munich and Hamburg. Click on the "Cost" link and then on the program term that you plan to attend (ex: Fall 2017-18).

The amounts are approximate and will vary based on the actual program you attend, your own spending, and the current currency exchange rate. As you budget for your study abroad, make sure you plan for these contingencies. Check current exchange rates online at or


Hochschule München and the Hamburg University of Applied Sciences have on-campus housing (dormitories).


1) Complete the IESP application for Munich or Hamburg.

2) In order to submit the IESP application, you will need to complete Global E3's electronic application form online.

3) Submit any original application materials directly to IESP through the online application; do not send them to the institution to which you are applying.

If you have an up-to-date passport please submit a copy of it with your application, otherwise start applying for a passport immediately.

Transcripts can be obtained by either (1) visiting the Office of the Registrar at 333 East Campus Mall or by (2) ordering them online via MyUW. Either option is free. Please note that hard copy transcripts ordered online may take up to 10 business days to arrive through the mail. Transcripts ordered online are available for pick-up the same day.

If you have any questions, contact IESP.